Right now is the perfect time to start planning your moves for 2013.
I realize it might seem a little early since there are still a couple months left in 2012…
But if you start planning now, you can hit the ground running on January 1st with a clear plan to increase your sales in 2013.
With that in mind, here’s a simple 4-step process to help you clarify how to focus your marketing efforts in 2013.
Step 1. Identify what’s working
Look back on the past several months, and ask these 2 questions:
- Who are the “A” quality customers that are generating the most profit for you?
- What marketing activities are bringing these types of customers in the door?
Step 2. Identify what’s NOT working
Next, you’ll want to focus on the negative, and ask these 2 questions:
- If you had to fire 10% of your customers, which customers would you get rid of?
- What marketing activities have failed to attract customers, or have attracted the wrong type of customer?
By asking these questions, you sharpen your focus. You’ll be able to contribute more time, energy, and resources to the activities that are producing the highest returns.
Step 3. What’s missing?
Now that you’ve decided where you’ll focus (and not focus), it’s time to identify your best opportunities.
Ask yourself these 4 questions:
- What other products and services can you offer to your “A” quality customers?
- How can you stimulate more word-of-mouth referrals among these customers?
- How can you expand the marketing activities that are producing these customers?
- Who else is serving these types of customers – and how can you partner with them?
Step 4. What’s stopping you?
The final step is to identify what, if anything, is preventing you from executing on these opportunities right away.
Complete these 2 simple exercises:.
- List the 3-5 biggest challenges or obstacles standing in your way
- List the 3-5 big things you’ll need to do over the next 12 months to reach your goal
If you take just 15 minutes to go through these 4 simple steps, I’m confident the process will open your eyes to how you can dramatically increase your sales in 2013.
Did I miss anything? Are there any big questions you’d add to my list? Post them in the comments.