Off-page SEO refers to the activities you perform that boost your webpage rankings, but that do not actually affect the page content itself. That’s in contrast to on-page SEO, which are steps you can take to optimize your webpages to rank higher in Google.
Off-page SEO primarily has to do with building links to your website.
Here are some examples of off-page SEO activities:
- Leverage Offline Relationships: Requesting links from businesses and organizations that you’re already affiliated with. These could include charities that you sponsor, associations you’re a member of, or referral partners that you regularly do business with.
- Competitor Research & Outreach: By analyzing your competitors’ links, you can find opportunities to get similar links. We recommend using Open Site Explorer and Ahrefs.com to see which websites are linking to your competitors, and then taking actions to get similar links to your website. In most cases, you’ll see that your competitors’ links consist of directory submissions, press releases, blog mentions.
- Directory Submissions: Submitting to industry-specific, local and national directories. We recommend submitting to quality, relevant directories in order to build an initial foundation of links. Plus, if you’re looking to improve local rankings, directories can help build citations (mentions of your Name, Address and Phone number).
- Press Releases: When you submit a press release that gets distributed, those syndicated mentions can help build more links to your website (plus citations, if you include your business Name, Address and Phone number in the release).
- Guest blogging: By publishing blog articles on other blogs, you will receive a byline and a link in the article pointing back to your website. These links can help generate relevant traffic to your website, plus the links can improve your rankings.
- Social media: Social media also deserves a spot on this list. Promoting your website content via social media can help improve its visibility via social networks, and can also help you attract links. Many SEO experts also believe that social media engagement is playing a growing role in SEO rankings.
Want Help With SEO?
At Main Street ROI, we specialize in providing SEO services for small businesses. If you’d like help with your SEO, contact us for a free quote.
Click here to request a Free SEO Quote
Want More SEO Tips?
Our Ultimate SEO Checklist provides dozens of tips to help you get your business on the first page of Google.