‘Tis the season to be planning. We’re all making our lists, and checking them twice, to make sure we know exactly what we’re going to accomplish in 2015.
This is critical for your business because as MLB hall of famer, Yogi Berra, famously said, “If you don’t know where you’re going, then you might not get there.” :)
But setting your goals and even laying out clear steps to achieve them is often not enough. There’s one more thing you need to do to ensure you hit your 2015 goals. When I look back on our own success this past year it actually wasn’t as much a factor of what we did, as what we did not do.
Let me explain…
Create a ‘Do Not’ Do List
I know this sounds a bit wacky, but I strongly recommend you create a “do not” do list for 2015. This is a list of projects that are on your long term “to do” list, but you’re going to commit to not doing them in 2015.
Why? Because I guarantee you have too many items already on your “to do” list! I know because I have the exact same problem. It’s impossible to cross off all the goals you set for yourself, and this leads to two results:
- In the worst case, you spread yourself and your team too thin and you miss all of your goals. When you try to juggle too many balls, then you inevitably end up dropping them all.
- In the best case, you hit some of your goals, but they take longer and cost more because you and your team are bouncing between too many projects. I’m sorry, but our brains are not programmed to multi-task, or do parallel processing like a computer. That means we can only do one project at any given time and there are usually big switching costs when we go back and forth between two projects.
The solution is a “do not” do list.
This Doesn’t Mean You Can’t Complete Those Goals
First of all, when you reduce your list of goals then the chances are much higher that you’ll be able to cross them off your list and still have time in the year left to complete the items on your “do not” list. That’s one way you can still complete all those goals.
The other way is to delegate and outsource. If you can delegate or outsource a project so that you’re minimally involved, then that’s the equivalent to parallel processing in a computer. It’s the only way us mere humans can accomplish two things at the same time. :)
So ask yourself, “What will you not do in 2015 in order to accomplish more of your goals?”
Want Us To Lighten Your Load?
If your goals for 2015 include launching and improving your SEO, online advertising and email marketing, then we can help lighten your load. By outsourcing all or some of your digital marketing you’ll be able to accomplish more of the goals you’re planning for 2015. Click here to contact us and schedule a call to discuss next steps.
Main Street ROI is a digital marketing agency based in New York City.
Our mission is to help small businesses thrive. With our services and training, we help small businesses succeed with marketing regardless of their budgets.
Since 2010, we’ve helped thousands of small businesses create profitable digital marketing campaigns.
As featured in…
As featured in…
Download Our Free Report!
- [AdWords Case Study] 3 “Cheats” to Instantly Boost Your ROI
- The Latest with Google AdWords: October 2017
- How To Convert Subscribers Into Customers (Even If You Have Less Than 50 Subscribers!)
- Top 10 Reasons Email Marketing Is Key to Your Marketing Strategy
- How to Track the Success of Your Email Marketing